Landmark or eyesore? Queen’s Wharf Tower demolition exposes mixed views in Newcastle

Tower demolition call exposes mixed views LANDMARK OR EYESORE: An aerial photograph from 1991 showing Queen’s Wharf, which won an architectural award three years earlier. The wharf’s observation tower will be dismantled in the middle of next year.
SuZhou Night Recruitment

FADING: Mist shrouds the tower as a kayaker paddles by on Newcastle harbour.

FIRST DRAFT: An early model of the Queen’s Wharf design by Newcastle architect Kevin Snell.

MOVING FORWARD: A race car drives past the Queen’s Wharf Tower on Saturday during the Newcastle 500. Picture: Simone De Peak

CLEARING THE AIR: An artist’s rendering of how the wharf would look without the tower. Picture: Newcastle City Council

Before and after images of Queen’s Wharf with and without the tower. Image courtesy of Newcastle City Council

An artist’s rendering of how the tower-less wharf could look. Image courtesy of Newcastle City Council

TweetFacebookNewcastle Herald reported on Wednesday that the 40-metre observation tower would come down in the middle of next year after the council received a forecast maintenance bill of $1.6 million for the next four years, including $1.2 million to repaint it.

The news prompted a flood of memes, ribald jokes, poetry and even a rap song on social media as the city celebrated and mourned the loss of the phallus-shaped structure.

One Facebook follower suggested the city could celebrate the same-sex marriage “yes” vote by retaining the tower and erecting another one next to it.

A Herald online poll suggested the community was divided over the issue as 54per cent called for the tower to be retained and 46 per cent wanted it gone.

But lawmakers on different sides of politics said the time was right for the tower to be levelled.

Cr John MackenzieHerald readerscommented online that the tower was an “eyesore”, smelled like a toilet and was rarely used.

Others argued it was part of Newcastle’s culture and offered excellent views of the city and water.

Another suggested removing the building’s bulbous top to make it less evocative.

Bali volcano: Major eruption possible

Indonesian authorities are preparing to evacuate residents by force as Bali’s Mount Agung volcano threatens to erupt and ash-laden skies left hundreds of thousands of holidaymakers in limbo.
SuZhou Night Recruitment

The number of affected visitors on Wednesday totalled 120,000 as experts warned earlier that a major eruption was “imminent” and authorities closed Bali’s Ngurah Rai International Airport until Thursday morning.

Increased activity detected inside Mount Agung overnight suggests an eruption is likely, with volcanic rocks the size of fists reported at villages four kilometres from the summit on Tuesday afternoon.

Volcanic ash has also been detected up to seven kilometres in the skies above the summit of Mount Agung which is 72 kilometres from the popular holiday destination of Kuta.

The code red warning for air travel was downgraded, however, to orange – the second highest level – after initially being issued on Monday.

Indonesian authorities said they were preparing to evacuate some 60,000 residents by force after more than 100,000 residents within a 10-kilometre exclusion zone were ordered to evacuate on Monday.

Only 40,000 Balinese in the exclusion zone have heeded warnings.

Increased seismic activity was detected at the volcano overnight following reports on Tuesday evening of a 30-minute tremor inside the crater after a series of small eruptions that began last week.

Thousands of travellers, including many on schoolies trips, remain stranded in Bali with all flights in and out of Ngurah Rai International Airport grounded until further notice.

Victorian schoolies Jesse Williams and Connor Harvey said they were worried about not being able to come home but wouldn’t let the volcano spoil their holiday plans.

“We’re a bit worry about the volcano erupting, about our flight back, not about our safety here,” Harvey said.

“We’re fine here. We’re just gonna hang around Kuta, Seminyak.”

Qantas, Jetstar and Virgin advised passengers on Wednesday that all flights were cancelled for the day.

Ash from the volcano has blanketed the airport as well as local roads and buildings. Fifteen assembly points have been prepared around Bali in the event of a major eruption.

Mount Agung towers over eastern Bali at a height of just over 3000 metres and last erupted in 1963, killing more than 1000 people and razing several villages.

Bali, famous for its surf, beaches and temples, attracted nearly five million visitors last year but business has slumped in areas around the volcano since September when Agung’s volcanic tremors began to increase.

Many stranded n travellers say they are running out of funds and are missing important events back home.

One Perth family said they were missing their daughter’s primary school graduation and had spent hours at Ngurah Rai International Airport on Monday waiting for answers.

“Our Air Asia flight to Perth been cancelled today so we’ve been on the line close to three hours now. Ella just graduated from Year 6, so we’re trying to get to that.” Due to the significant volcanic ash and current weather conditions, Denpasar Airport is currently closed. As a result we have cancelled all flights between Bali and today and Thursday 30 November. More info is available on our Travel Alerts page. https://t苏州夜场招聘/LD8rC5LZdZ??? Virgin (@Virgin) November 28, 2017

Hunter Catholic staff to stop work over right to arbitration

HUNTER Catholic teachers and support staff will stop work for four hours next week, vowing to fight for their right to arbitration even if it means missing out on backpay of up to $2250before Christmas.
SuZhou Night Recruitment

NSW and ACT Independent Education Union branch assistant secretary Mark Northam saidmembersfrom 51 of the Catholic Diocese of Maitland-Newcastle’s 57 schools were expected toparticipate in the protected industrial action. “In a sense this has become a history-making dispute,” Mr Northam said.”No Catholic employer has ever put to votea non union endorsed agreement. This situation is due to their failure to get around a table and negotiate an outcome.”

Mr Northam said membersfrom most schools would stop work for four hours from the commencement of duties on Monday. They will attend meetings at Mayfield Bowling Club and Aberdeen Bowling Club. Membersfrom St Pius X Adamstown, St Peter’s Maitland, St Therese’s New Lambton, St Joseph’s Merriwa andSt Paul’s Gateshead will stop work on Tuesday. Membersfrom Holy NameForster will stop work on Wednesday.

Director of Schools Michael Slattery said he was “disappointed” about the action,but assured parents all children at affected schools will be supervised.

As previously reported, the IEU andCatholic Commission for Employment Relations (CCER) started negotiating late last year over a new three year enterprise agreement to start in 2017.

The IEU wanted a clause that allowed staff to seek arbitration in the Fair Work Commission over disputes.

The CCER has said there is no need to include arbitration in the agreement. It said the current process in place for the past seven years has resolved every dispute andis consistent with the Fair Work Act.”Iffor some reason it does stop working throughout the life of the new enterprise agreement, the CSO will be happy to work with the union to find ways to improve it,” Mr Slattery said. He encouraged staff to vote yes on the proposed agreement in its current formon December 5 and leavethe IEU and CCER to continue negotiations on the arbitration clause in 2018. “This way staff at Catholic schools can receive the financial benefit of the negotiated 2.5 per centincrease in remuneration and their back pay as soon as possible. The 11 dioceses have decided that we will not wait until the Fair Work Commission formally approves the enterprise agreement before we process pay increases, as this could take an extended period of time.”

Mr Northam saidmembers were “incited by what’s been offered to them and [the idea] that you can resolve a dispute by putting money into people’s hands or pockets”.

NRL: Newcastle Knights incorporate ‘yin’ yoga into pre-season training routinephotos

Knights stretching limits with yoga BEND AND STRETCH: Newcastle Knights players, including Nathan Ross, Jamie Buhrer and Daniel Saifiti, doing yoga at Balance City on Wednesday morning as part of pre-season training. Picture: Simone De Peak
SuZhou Night Recruitment

FLEXIBLE: Knights recruit Jacob Lillyman. Picture: Simone De Peak

POISE: Premiership-winner Slade Griffin. Picture: Simone De Peak

TweetFacebook“It means there’s a different voice delivering messages that we try to get across every week, trying to teach them how to stretch on top of our own techniques at training.

“I also like the discipline of yoga… not taking short cuts.

“This hopefully translates into other areas of their work and helps them to become more professional in their overall approach.”

Kenny-Dowall, who travelled to the “home of yoga” in the Indian Himalayan regionduring the off-season, was grateful for theWednesday morning addition having previously sought itout individually in a bid to continue his professional rugby league career.

“I tried to incorporate it [yoga] in my programs outside of the training I was doing and have probably done it for the last five years,” Kenny-Dowall said.

“I took it upon myself because I had a few injuries at the time and was looking for alternative methods to prolong my career.

“I really found yoga gave me a mental focus as well as a physical balance and realignment.

“I recently went over there [to India] and did a few classes and learned a lot off some masters which was a really good experience.

“So it’s amazing that Tony [Ayoub] and the Knights’ performance staff have been able to incorporate it into our training because it’s not another thing we have to doand it’salready helping the boys along.”

Danny Buderus Medal recipientBarnett, recovering from recentshoulder surgery, haslessexperience with yoga butwithin a month noticed the difference.

“I struggle a lot more with the old yoga because of my flexibility, but it has improved over the last four weeks,” Barnettsaid.

Meanwhile, the Knights are expected to announceon Thursdaythat they will play an NRL trial game at the redeveloped Maitland Sportsground in February.

SIGNINGS: Knights say room for Pearce and Lamb

NO SHOW: Cessnock recruit Carter misses court appearance

JAG: West Newcastle swoop on former internationalFrank Paul Nu’uausala

QUICK SINGLES: Triple headers part of revamped T20 program in Newcastle

RUNS: Wallsend’s Jacob Montgomery playing T20 last season. Picture: Jonathan CarrollTRIPLEheaders will be part of the revamped T20 program in Newcastle this summer.
SuZhou Night Recruitment

With the official launch imminent for the new competition, no longer featuringpremiership points, district clubs have been informed of the proposed format.

There aretwo pools of six teams with five preliminary rounds set acrossJanuary and February. This includesa mid-week match and two lots of back-to-back-to-back Sunday fixtures with three sides at one venue. Semi-finals and the decider will be played on the same day.

ROUND 8 FIXTURES: Wests v Cardiff, City v Toronto, Merewether v Wallsend, Hamwicks v Charlestown, Belmont v Waratah, University v Stockton.

* MASTERScompetition returned last week with a tie recorded between old rivals Charlestown (9-136) and Belmont (8-136).

The two clubs dominated first grade proceedings in Newcastlefor more than a decade from 1980-1981 and they sparked memories of those fierce battles at Kahibah Oval on Wednesday afternoon.

Hamwicks, Merewether, City and Toronto were the other first-round winners of the five-week competition.

* STREAKERS stole the show for a while at Wallsend Oval on Saturday.

A few young men dumped their bikes andstripped bare before running across the ground as the Tigers held on to defeat Stockton.

* JED Dickson will captain Charlestown in their upcoming round-eight encounter away against Hamwicks with regular leader Steve Mace unavailable.

* NEWCASTLE representative skipper Mark Littlewood not only returned home with the NSW Country Championships trophy after Sunday’s victory but also the Mark Curry Medal for player of the final after top scoring with 59.